Thursday, September 01, 2011

Devotions: My Little Miracle

Miracle in the Making
Scripture Reading:
Psalm 139: 13-16
 “For you created my inmost being;
   You knit me together in my mother’s womb.
 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
   Your works are wonderful,
   I know that full well.
 My frame was not hidden from you
   When I was made in the secret place,
   When I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
   All the days ordained for me were written in your book
   Before one of them came to be.”


It is crazy how God can create a child in our bodies.  The way He intricately designs a woman to sustain life inside a womb, then to deliver another little person into this world is nothing short of a miracle.  We are blessed to be given the opportunity to become ‘mom’.  There is nothing more fulfilling in the earth then to be given the experience to build a little creature within us, a little miracle.  The first flutter of a kick, the first sound of a human heartbeat, the first picture of life and the first cry; all this is nothing short of a gift.  From the day we find out we’re going to be a mother, our lives change drastically.  Sure, we lose our awesome pre-baby figure, but we gain something completely incomparable.  We are given the gift of life.  We are given the responsibility to grow and deliver a child of God, then to raise that child in His name and His knowledge, only praying that one day the child will in turn know our Savior.  This is a gift, a miracle, and a responsibility that only He can grant us.  We are in turn, miracle makers, part of a cycle of life that only ‘woman’ can continue.  Our mothers gave birth to us, and we are in turn to give birth to others.  We are miracle makers because after 9 months, we can stare back at the image of God and say “Thank You Lord for giving me my little miracle, my baby”.

Reflect in Action:
Look at your child (or your belly if one is on the way) and thank Him for your little miracle.  No matter how tired, or how frustrated being a mother (or a mom to-be) can be, you are this baby’s little world and your child is His child and until He calls us home, they are our gift on earth.  Tell your child how much you love them and how much God loves them too.


1 comment:

  1. ...this post not helping me postpone my desire to start having kids....thanks Ate. Hahaha! I can't wait until I'm a mommy too.
    After I got married and started working with kids, I suddenly feel an overwhelming desire to raise my own child. I know I am probably naive in thinking I could raise a child now, and I'm not saying I'm going to start trying now, just thinking aloud I guess. There is just something so miraculous , as you say, about God creating life within another person....

    ReplyDelete